What is redlining?
Redlining is the next evolution of document automation on Checkbox. In addition to generating fully bespoke documents, sending them via workflow for approval and executing them via e-sign, Checkbox now allows users to handle document negotiation, versioning, review and markup directly on the platform.
Cool, how does it work?
For End Users
In 3 simple steps, built into the Checkbox assessments you know and love:
- Establish a starting point: Redlining can be started by either uploading a document you’ve received from a counterparty, or generating the first version using Checkbox’s native document generation capabilities.
- Markup documents: Use Checkbox’s in-platform editor to make edits, suggest changes and leave comments, or if you prefer, edit the document in Microsoft Word and upload it back to Checkbox.
- Done! Checkbox’s workflow engine takes care of the rest, automatically sending the latest version of the redlined document to the correct user or system (such as e-signature and matter-management tools) as required.
To bring redlining to Checkbox we’ve upgraded the “View Document” block to the “Document Review” block. Simply add a new block/click on existing your block’s property editor, select “Document Review”, and away you go.
Note: this is a premium feature, please chat to your Customer Success Manager if the “Document Review” option is greyed out in your property editor.
The “Document Review” option allows you to tailor each participant’s experience on a block-by-block level, letting you decide whether:
- The participant can see the document history (record of previously negotiated versions)
- The participant can view and create internal versions, allowing you to hide internal versions of the document from counter-parties while still keeping everything on Checkbox
- Offline editing in Word is permitted – if not, users will be required to use the on-platform editor
How does this feature help me/my team?
- Avoid the admin burden of redlining: traditionally, redlining is done through hard-to-follow email chains where time is often wasted finding the correct version to work on and figuring out who the correct approvers are. Checkbox Redlining:
- Allows in-platform review and markup of documents, so you don’t have to leave Checkbox
- Integrates seamlessly with the rest of Checkbox so you can leverage logic engine and workflows + e-signature in the platform
- Allows for the negotiation of third party agreements as well as those generated by Checkbox
- Allows offline editing for users who are more comfortable working in Word.
- Automate compliance: it’s easy to lose track of the evolution of a document when versions are distributed across word, email, online and local drives. With Checkbox Redlining you have:
- Automatic versioning for full audit trail – Checkbox keeps a structured history of the document versions, and presents only the versions each participant needs to see
- Easily accessible Document History – storing a comprehensive view of each version, so that
- Improve transparency: for non-negotiating parties (i.e. managers, people waiting on the deal to close) without the noise of being included on the email chain
2. Allowing all variables to be used in Dashboards, Widgets, and Scheduled Tasks without being exposed
All variables are now accessible in Dashboards, Widgets, and Scheduled Tasks even without being exposed!