What are Headers and Block Descriptions used for?
Headers and Block Descriptions both help the App author to navigate through their blocks in Studio more seamlessly.
Headers are available on blocks that can be seen by the end-user (i.e. front-end blocks such as FORM, TABLE, TRANSCRIPT etc. See matrix at the bottom of this article for more information). In Studio, content added to the Header is reflected in the body of the blocks. In Assessments or Previews, the Header content for that block will be represented as a header for the page.
Block Descriptions are available in all blocks except LOOP and SECTION blocks. If the block includes a Header, the Block Description will be reflected on the top bar of the block in Studio. Otherwise, the Block Description will be reflected in the body of the block. See example below.
How to add Headers in blocks
- In Studio, drag and drop a FORM block (or any other block that has a Header. Please refer to the matrix at the bottom of this article)
- Click into the FORM block and on the right panel, type in any content in the “Header” field (e.g. “Personal Information”)
- Click “Save” and see the Header fill in the body of the FORM block. See example below.
- Click “Preview” on the toolbar at the top of the Studio
- Navigate and observe the header (i.e. “Personal Information”) reflected in the FORM block page
Note: If the block also has a rich text editor in the property editor (e.g. Start Page) and is filled with content, the Header will be overwritten in the body of the block. However, the header will still be represented inside of an assessment. See example below.
As mentioned before, inside an assessment or preview, the Header is still represented despite it being overwritten in the body of the block in Studio. The contents in the property editor will also be represented as text on the page. See example below.
How to add Block Descriptions
- In Studio, drag and drop a COMP block (or any other block that has a Block Description. Please refer to the matrix at the bottom of this article)
- Click into the COMP block and on the right panel, type in any content in the “Block Description” field (e.g. “Weighted Scoring”)
- Click “Save” and see the description fill in the body of the COMP block. See example below.
Note: If the block has both a Header and Block Description (e.g. FORM), the Block Description will be reflected at the top bar of the block. See example below with “Details” as the Block Description and “Personal Information” as the header.
What if my Header or Block Description is too long?
Simply click onto the corner of the block and drag to expand the block to see the entirety of the Header and Block Description. See example below.
Header and Block Description Matrix
View the matrix below for the blocks that have Headers and Block Descriptions.
|Block Name||Header||Block Description|
* SECTION block: The section names of the SECTION blocks will be represented in the body of the block in Studio. Learn more about SECTION blocks.