What is a route back?
A route back in Checkbox refers to an App design where the end user is redirected back to a previous page that has been travelled through before. You can create a route back in the App Studio by connecting one block to a previous block. Route backs can be recognised by a dotted line. Please see the screenshot below.
What are the two toggle options for route backs?
When creating a route back in the Studio, the App author can be toggled on to preserve all variable values or toggled off to reset all variable values for the travelled path. By default, the toggle is turned off where all variable values between the two blocks will be reset.
When should you reset or keep all variable values?
- Reset all variable values (Toggle OFF) - Default
Typically, decisioning Apps do not require any variable values to be preserved if the end user is routed back and therefore the toggle can remain turned off.
For example, in a legal triage tool, the variable values in a route back do not need to be preserved as the sole purpose of the App is to direct the end user to the appropriate legal resource.
- Preserve all variable values (Toggle ON)
When the variable values of the route back path need to be updated at a later stage and/or the route back path is preferred to be recorded in the transcript, the toggle should be turned on to preserve all variable values.
Auditing and compliance use cases are common in this case. For example, in a compliance App, end users may need to submit their responses to the legal team for review. If the legal team requires the end user to amend their responses, they will assign the Assessment back to the end user through a route back for resubmission.
In this case, the initial responses (variable values) may need to be preserved to show a record of the path travelled by the end user in the route back and any relevant comments attached by the legal team. Preserving these variable values also allows the end user to not lose their initial responses, especially if they are only making minor amendments before resubmitting their responses.
- Route backs are not designed to route back to a function page (i.e. MERGE, COMP, FILTER, LOOP, EMAIL) if the toggle to preserve variable values are turned off
- You cannot route back to the following blocks: END, TRANSCRIPT, WORKFLOW, VIEW DOC, PARALLEL, SEQUENCE
- You cannot route back to or from a page inside a LOOP
- You cannot route back to a page that has NOT been travelled before
- You cannot route back to a page that belong on separate paths